Lorena Rios, PhD
Lorena Margarita Rios Mendoza received her Ph.D. in Coastal Oceanography (Marine Electrochemistry) and her M.S.in Coastal Oceanography (Marine Environmental) from the University Autonomous of Baja California (UABC), Baja California-México. She received her B.S. in Chemistry.from University National Autonomous of México. (UNAM)
During her academic career, Lorena served as a visiting researcher and professor in Analytical Chemistry in the Chemistry Department at the Univerisity of the Pacific, Stockton, CA. Her work included studying Persistent Organic Pollutants in the plastic matrix. She has also served as Professor Assistant, Short Courses “Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. Principles and Practice” for the American Chemical Society and was on the Faculty of Marine Sciences at UABC – Mexico.
- Rios, Lorena M., Moore, Ch. Jones, P.R. 2007. Persistent organic pollutants carried by synthetic polymers in the ocean environment.Mar. Pollut. Bull. 54,1230-1237
- Rios-Mendoza Lorena M., J. Vinicio Macias-Zamora, Alberto, R. Zirino. 2003. Iridio: Una opción para medir el potencial redox.Ciencias Marinas, 29(4):509-520.
- Macías-Zamora, J. V., Sánchez-Osorio J. L., Ríos-Mendoza L., Ramírez-Alvarez, N. and López-Sánchez, D. Trace metals in sediments and Zostera marina of San Ignacio and Ojo de Liebre in the Central Pacific Coast of Baja California. Mexico. Archives of Environment Contamination and Toxicology, DOI 10.1007/s00244-007-9115-0.
- Gutierrez-Galindo, E.A., Rios-Mendoza, L.M., Villaescusa-Celaya, J. 1998. Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in Marine Sediments of The Baja California (México)-California (USA) Border Zone. Mar. Poll. Bull., 36:27-31.
- Holm-Hansen O., Hewes, D. Ch., Maturana, J., Rios-Mendoza, L.M., Gónzales-Rodas, G. “AMLR program: Phytoplankton Distribution and its Relationship to Different Water Zones Characterized by Physical Oceanographic Parameters, January-February 1997”. Antartic Journal of the United States.
- She participated as a reviewer for "Eliminating Land-Based Discharges of Marine Debris in California: A Plan of Action from the Pastic Debris Project.” Gordon, Miriam, June 2006. California Coastal Commission, LARWQCB & SWRCB.
Her presentations include:
- Quantitative Analysis of POPs Plastic Debris in the Ocean. Urja V. Narayan1,Lorena M. Rios1, Charles Moore2 and Patrick R. Jones1. 1University of the Pacific, Stockton CA.2Algalita Marine Research Institute, Long Beach, CA. POSTER at the 54th ASMS Conference. May 28 - June 1, 2006. Washington State Convention & Trade Center, Seattle, WA
- QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS OF POPS IN PLASTIC DEBRIS IN THE OCEAN.Lorena M. Rios1, Urja V. Narayan1, Gerardo Castillo1, Charles Moore2 and Patrick R. Jones1. 1University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA.2Algalita Marine Research Institute, Long Beach, CA. ORAL PRESENTATION at Southern California Academy of Sciences Symposium. May 12-13, 2006. Malibu, CA.
- What is the PLASTIC that has invaded the Ocean? Gerardo Castillo1, Lorena M. Rios1, Charles Moore2 and Patrick R. Jones1.1University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA.2Algalita Marine Research Institute, Long Beach, CA. POSTER at Sixth Annual Pacific Undergraduate Research & Creativity Conference. (May 6, 2006).
- What is the PLASTIC that has invaded the Ocean? Gerardo Castillo1, Lorena M. Rios1, Charles Moore2 and Patrick R. Jones1.1University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA.2Algalita Marine Research Institute, Long Beach, CA. POSTER at the 18th Annual Northern California American Chemical Society (May 6, 2006). San Jose, CA.
- POP’s on Plastic Debris. L. M. Rios, P. Jones and Ch. Moore. POSTER at Plastic Debris, Rivers to Sea Conference. September 2005. Redondo Beach, LA.
- Pollution carried by synthetic polymers in the ocean. K. Hoyt, L.M. Rios, and , P. Jones. Poster at the 5th, Annual Pcific Undergraduate Research & Creativity Conference. April 2005.
- Pollution carried by sybthetic polymers in the ocean. K. Hoyt, L.M. Rios, and , P. Jones. POSTER at the 17th Annual Northern California American Chemical Society (2005).
- Participation in the Antarctic Marine Living Resources (AMLR) Program, which is funded by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). Russian Research Vessel Yuzhmorgeologiya. Antartic (January-February, 1997).
- Participation in Cruises oceanographic on the R/V Alguita (Algalita Marine Resech Foundation).
- Participation in cruises on the R/V Francisco de Ulloa (CICESE-Mexico).
- “Mérito Escolar”, “School Merit” 2001, for the best average in Ph.D. studies, given by University Autonomous of Baja California (UABC) México.
- “Los Mejores Estudiantes de México", “The Best Students of Mexico”. Given by Diario de México, Anuies and CONACyT. México, 2002.